Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tigers Win After 10 Years... literally.

At the moment: happy


I was watching at home (was too slow to get a ticket) when history happened. I was biting onto my pillow, I felt my heart beating crazy against my chest, the first time it happened in years. Every second felt too fast, too soon. Chris Tiu delivers that flawless, heart-stopping 3-pointer and then I said to myself Stop holding so hard onto the win Nicole... if it's not meant to be that's okay, we have nothing to lose

But we DID have something to lose. It's the chance, the opportunity that has slip our claws for almost 4 years. We're in the FINALS gundamitall! It's chance wagging its tail in front of our faces. GRAB IT. Devour it, for goodness sake, WIN IT.

Evangelista and Cruz are out, UST's top players. The chances are seriously slim with Tiu, Intal, Kramer and Escalona still intact and fueled with passion for their last game. There is hope, oh there is no doubt about that. I remember praying so hard my fingers hurt. I prayed even before the game went overtime. I prayed everytime Ateneo pulls a hack-a-japs and asked God to please, please help Japs get that free throw.

And when JC missed that last deciding shot.. I felt fresh, hot tears brim under my eyes. I clasped my hands tight, learned from game 1 that every second counts and that the game's not over yet, Cortez delivers the ball, gets fouled by an Ateneo rookie and then time (as well as my breathing) stopped.

I remember shutting my eyes.

When I opened them, I joined my brother in chanting, "Itay, ipasok mo yan maawa ka..." We called Jun Cortez "Itay" because well... he looks like one. No offense meant please, we love the tigers. He gets one in and I was still thinking, No, it's not over yet. Not yet... While the ball went in play, I couldn't bring myself to look at the clock, I watched like a hawk knowing fully well that Ateneo would pull "A Kramer" again like in Game 1. Only when the buzzer signalling the end of the game resonated did I realize, HOLY SHIT!! WE WON!!

The Underdogs, The Unexpected, The Underestimated... WON!

We really did! My screams probably reached neighboring houses but I didn't care. I jumped, I squealed, I hugged Julian.. I rejoiced like I'm in Araneta myself. They really did it... they made the Thomasian dream come true. Everyone I knew who were not Thomasians... friends from GSG, random acquaintances... all of them were rooting for Ateneo. And they aren't even from Ateneo, so imagine how it feels like being belittled even by people who aren't from the opposing team. They said Ateneo would win in a sweep. They said UST didn't stand a chance... It's like we're the big villains in Ateneo's success story and the only people rooting for UST are the Thomasians themselves. Normally people would root for the underdogs but in the case of the UAAP, it works the other way around. Same principle in the NBA I guess. If the Heat and the Rockets go head-to-head in the Finals, would people really root for the Rockets? I think not. "Kapit sa malakas" as my brother puts it, at least that's how it is when it comes to sports.

To the Tigers, congratulations guys! Savour this moment, you deserve it! No matter how many people who might tell you otherwise, remember that YOU DESERVE THIS WIN. You played the game, you beat them, you WON. The scores were distributed, everybody did their part. Dylan, Espiritu, Evangelista, Cruz, Cuan even Dizon and Canlas... you guys showed everyone that there is more to a team than their star player. You played like a TEAM. Coach Pido, congratulations you are an angel!

And to my fellow Thomasians, guys! Party tayo bukas!

10 Comments:

Blogger & said...

in every uaap game, with my kuya's influence - i bet the blue eagles.

ateneo lost. :( a big OUCH. but hey, it's okay for me. the thing about basketball is the FUEL that keeps on burning while watching the game!!!

suspense. thriller. katakot...

sayang naman. :-< boogsh. ateneo would try their luck next time. that next time would be...

when i'm in college! IMAGINE!! susunod na akong pupunta sa araneta coliseum at makikigulo sa mga schools..

if I'd be a Thomasian - aba. magtatambling ako! LOL. http://vindication.wordpress.com

7:59 PM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

Galing!! hahahaha! congrats UST! wish UP could do that too..hehe. so sad.:(

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS USTE..:>

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. congratulations. i bet every tomasino is still in cloud nine up to this moment. USTe's win is much publicized. but which win shouldn't be? it's wonderful and you guys, well, stay happy.

10:13 AM  
Blogger pat said...

honga honga ust was not a favored team because people just dont know any better. bitterness aside ust kicked ateneo ass so bad they all must've literally turned blue. just hopping.. ;)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want u to know that i'm a regular visitor of your blog. i found it nice... ang ingay ng mga taga ust tigers. guys check this out -> http://youdiehard.blogspot.com make sure you won't die hard after u read his articles. i saw it in my email yesterday from mich. ok take care now. bye -- jr

2:24 PM  
Blogger KAI said...

Congratulations! :)

2:42 PM  
Blogger patricia said...

hi there. this site is so nice. :]
i really had to rush going home to watch the finals..hehe...unfortunately yung overtime lang naabutan ko...i watched the firs two games, and dang,panalo na talaga sana USTe...that one freaking second changed everything.

pero hey, congrats to the Tigers. u earned your victory. :]

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What else is there to say... Much! Of course! But we are lost for words. Even the journalists claim that to be true.

The Cinderella story is just too Disney-ish to be true... but it is.

We emerged victorious... just when nobody believed! Just when nobody expected!

CONGRATS to US! :) Can never be any prouder :) Love UST! Hats off to Pido! ;p

12:39 AM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

i confess that i was rooting for ateneo, not because they were the winning team, but maybe because of my sister's brainwashing. [before, i actually thought that i would end up in ateneo - i even had a "heart of an atenean" t-shirt that i wore in high school with pride.]

anyway... UST WON! shocking! congratulations. i wasn't bummed out when i found out [didn't watch the game]. parang, "wow, ang galing naman, naiba for once."

anyway, congrats to ust. ^_^

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home