Sunday, September 24, 2006

Nerds on a Saturday Night

At the moment: sniffling


Finally it happened. I finally went out clubbing on a saturday night after so many months of having a nonexistent social life. School drains you of vigor and the will to live.. that I firmly believe. And life has finally been pumped back to me last night.

Have you guys tried dancing at "The Basement" that small bar/disco in Eastwood? Yes? Well have you tried dancing there on a Saturday night?

Dancing with a huge crowd can be exhilirating. But dancing with a crowd huge enough to cause a fatal stampede is another thing. Girlie and I tried to enjoy it, we really did. But constantly being shoved by huge, burly men is far from our idea of enjoyment. And as if that wasn't enough, almost everyone down there were smoking. SMOKING GODDAMMIT! In a place where there is absolutely no windows, no exhaust and then packed with people grinding against each other... Breathing was a chore and I totally found a whole new meaning to the old song "Smoke gets in your eyes" It is PAINFUL. It got so bad, I left and stayed outside where the air was fresh.


Well.. at least pollution outside seemed kinder compared to breathing secondhand smoke in a cramped room.


Girlie's eyes probably hurt as much as mine did so the two of us stayed outside. It was just around 1am and yet we were already out of the dance floor.. how lame. Yes, I know... losers you might call us. But come ON! We could barely keep our eyes open in there! The fact that we can barely move and are consequently unable to deliver our killer dance moves (nyardiharhar) makes matters worse. So anyway, what we did to shrug the sting in our eyes off is to walk around eastwood and try to blink the pain away. And to further enhance this recovery, we went to Starbucks to get ourselves (what else?) coffee!

I never appreciated a couch as much as I did at that time. All that body-bumping has made my legs hurt (even though I was wearing flats.. I can't imagine the pain if I was wearing heels!) so the soft couch cushioning my ass felt wonderful. Add the sweet aroma of cofee beans... the feeling was practically orgasmic. And there we got to talk about a LOT of things. Amazing what a decent couch and a cup of coffee can do.

We talked about how Brian Singer is an amazing director. And how X-MEN 3 sucked big time.. and why we prefer older men to guys our age when it comes to relationships.

So yes we spent the rest of the hours there and then met up with our other tired friends (the ones strong enough to withstand the godawful smoke in The Basement) They had breakfast... I said 'they' because Girlie and I were still in a "discussion" and this time it was about a plot I had in mind but never got to start because of a roadblock in construction. We fixed it by the way.

Anyway... that's how my saturday night went. Fun, huh?

Seriously, it really was! We got to dance a little and had barely a glass of vodka (too much ICE!! it tasted like liquified cardboard with tabasco sauce) but the conversation was what really made it fun. And I haven't really talked to Girlie or any of my HS friends that night for so many months already.

Whoever made the rule that party-and-drink-till-you're-hammered is the standard way to spend a Saturday night? I say put on those glasses, get your book or your laptop and bury yourself in there. It's still going to be fun... you won't get to make out with a stranger but at least it will keep you entertained. Admit it. There are times when you just HAVE to be a nerd on a saturday night... and then you realize it's not so bad after all. Admit it. ^__^


ON A SIDE NOTE: My heart got shattered to pieces with GAME 1 between UST and ATENEO. I swear nobody can talk to me decently after that... I almost cried. I mean I would've cried if I wasn't so angry. I mean we weren't EXPECTING to be in the finals but now that we are, there is this thirst to get the title. Everybody I know (who isn't from UST) is like "UST is okay but ATENEO will undoubtedly win this in the first 2 games" It breaks my heart you know? It's like the underdogs are further slumped in the muck and judged harshly even BY THOSE WHO DON'T EVEN WATCH UAAP! That's probably the worst. Anyway I'll leave this rant for another day. ^__^

16 Comments:

Blogger Donya Quixote said...

yeah, i'm not much of a party person either. between a smokey club and a night with my -oolala- laptop, i'd choose my -oolala- laptop. ^_^

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basement used to have a reputation for being a third-sex-pick-up bar. Is it still that?

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>"UST is okay but ATENEO will undoubtedly win this in the first 2 games"

you should hear TJ Manotoc...the whore..err...host from Ateneo

6:07 PM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

my gosh..i sOoooo hate smoking...i mean..what good does it do right? yay.:)

and about the UAAP finals. i admit. im an ateneo fan [since UP is not doing good in the UAAP..haha!!]

i really thought they played well. i mean..so well.. but luck was just on the side of ateneo..=P

series aren't over though..=)

take care!

10:01 AM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

wooohooo!!=)

it finally saved. hahaha.
[i mean. blogger account.]

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bagong lay-out nanaman! how good of a photoshop-per can you get? :D

anyway, i am an etnista and... well... i'm pro-ateneo. ^^ 1 second. hehe.

pero i'm not saying ust's the underdog in the whole competition. just the fact that they reaced the finals makes them really very good.

eh medjo considered rin naman kaming underdogs pagdating sa cheering eh... :D

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

party? never tried that one.

anyway, ganun ba talaga?

sabagay, malamang hindi ko magustuhan yung ganyan kasi mas gusto ko yung tahimik at talky-talkie.

6:03 PM  
Blogger & said...

school pride at its finest. hayaan mo na.. :D

and well, you enjoyed the party amidst of the smoke naman. :) KAHIT PAPAANO, na-enjoy mo. ahehehe.

smoke gets in your eyes? what does it feel, btw?

http://vindication.wordpress.com NICE HEADER! loveettttttt. :D

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They, asked me how I knew,
My true love was true,
I of course replied, something here inside,
Can not be denied.

They, said some day you'll find,
All who love are blind,
When you heart's on fire, you must realize,
Smoke gets in your eyes.

So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed,
To think they would doubt our love,
And yet today, my love has gone away,
I am without my love.

Now laughing friends deride,
Tears I cannot hide,
So I smile and say, when a lovely flame dies,
Smoke gets in your eyes,

Smoke gets in your eyes.

-just sharing hehehe..

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're crying over UST losing to Ateneo in the finals? LOL.

pano pa kaming taga-UP? the only thing that doesn't suck about the Fighting Maroons is the team name. Year after year, they consistently end up near the bottom. frankly, i've given up even hoping that UP makes it even into the finals, much less win the UAAP.

11:25 AM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

oh. and i noticed. bago pala header mo..hehe..nice!!!:)

[you know naman my connection..grrr...hehehe.]

and i agree with what iamstorm said..haha.

4:56 PM  
Blogger japanesenagi said...

I'm not a party person too. I think behind my back I'm tagged as killjoy. Yes, I do prefer books and sleep during weekends.

abt the UAAP, yes, it can be irritating when people cheer for the other school.
-.-
good luck with your school and the game.
you guys won the cheering. katuwa rin mascot nyo! aliw~

>>notice I'm being safe with the UAAP. I support La Salle tho we're suspended and I can't say who's going to win since with Ateneo and UST, I have friends there and I don't want to offend the other by supporting one.
actually right now, I feel underdog too kasi dami supporters ateneo dito. ahaha.. kahit sa school nun. may mga lasalistang boto sa ateneo. I rem may pustahan pa nun kung kaya five-peat ng school.
pero tis okay. sometimes the school rivalry is so way exaggerated. sometimes a strategy to sell more tickets whenever the green and blue are facing each other.
*peace*

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. my classmates and i were talking about this the other day. i remember someone saying, "i wish Ateneo would lose. nakakasawa na eh." :P

-------------

on a side note, i was wondering if you've read the whole hot gimmick series. i want to finish it desperately kasi eh ^^

1:52 AM  
Blogger KAI said...

The Basement just opened the last time I've been to Eastwood, the monstrous bouncers didn't even allow me to get in, because apparently I was underage, lol. But I've been exposed to that kind of atmosphere many times that I eventually got used to it. But dancing? Erk, not my thing. As I've once said in a blog entry, I'd take a drinking/kwentuhan session over a slut-filled dance floor any day.

11:31 AM  
Blogger The King said...

i actually have TRIED dancing at The Basement. (Note: TRIED is the operative word, haha!) it was a Friday, okay naman ang crowd turnout. at tama ka, amoy yosi talaga!!! haha! nonsmoker pa naman ako.

at pareho tayo, me and my mates also ended the night at nearby Starbucks! =p

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah. Game two- nanalo tigers. XD congratsss~

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home