Sunday, September 10, 2006

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's.. YOUR BIRTHDAY!

At the moment: excited to go shoe-shopping tomorrow


Before anything else... CONGRATULATIONS to UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe for bagging the big prize for the 5th time! I honestly get the tingles whenever I watch them perform. It's more than school spirit.. it's school pride. We're the ones who're usually bullied among the big universities anyway.. the underdogs as much as I hate to admit it. But when it comes to cheerdance competitions, I would fight to the death for UST's right for respect. Way to go guys! Congratulations also to FEU and UP. Damn...! FEU has gotten SOOOO good! While watching them, I swear I felt my heart racing with fear. Another year and those guys would take on the cheerdance competition by a frickin' hurricane. UP's stunts are innovative and sometimes come downright shocking. It was a good game... a good fight. Congratulations to everyone!





My chinese friend celebrated his birthday today. Being one who doesn't like big gatherings, crowds and noise, he just treated us to lunch. We ate everything we wanted at Pizza Hut (well he IS chinese you know.. he has lots of.. uh.. cash) and if it weren't for my boyfriend who arrived late, we wouldn't be able to finish everything we ordered. We had pizza (the huge one), pasta (separate orders), fish fingers (shared) and salad (separate orders).. after my first pizza, I suddenly realized my stomach couldn't handle it anymore. No, I did not take a dump after that, (you sick, sick person) I just stopped eating altogether and refused to move.

Now my other chinese friend Karla and I decided to make things a little livelier for him since he (birthday boy) has never experienced a birthday party before. We talked to the waiters and asked if they could fix a little something up like a cupcake with a candle or something... and you guys know what they did?

A BUNCH of them (like 5 waiters.. ALL MALE) stood in a row and then one of them suddenly shouted, "HEY GUYS! IT'S LYLE'S BIRTHDAY!!"

And then they started singing a birthday song... with VERY LOUD VOICES. I hope I made it clear that they were practically YELLING the lyrics out. They even plopped a jester's hat on him! Lyle, the poor thing, honestly didn't know what to do... he was speechless and shocked and probably disturbed since the waiters sounded like the masculados. Actually, Julian and I were half-expecting they'd strip their aprons off or something. The weird song ended and the waiters returned to their stations... life was back to it's normal order once again.

I thought Lyle would hate us for doing that (we HONESTLY didn't expect that those waiters would be THAT into it! I swear!) but to our relief, he was actually pretty touched. Hehe... As I've said, he has never celebrated his birthday before... since he was a kid, he'd lock himself up in his room and play video games whenever his birthday comes. I'm glad he appreciated it because we really just wanted him to feel special because well... he is. He may be a little quirky and childish but he's still our quirky, childish friend.


first pic is Lyle jester hat and all.. and Therese his girlfriend who's also one of my close friends.. next pic is me and Julian.. Karla's behind me.. haha


As for me, I celebrated my birthday with a big party up until I was 7. I was the first kid in the family.. and people love showering the only kid in the house with parties and cakes and gifts.


I remember hotdog-marshmallow-kebabs artistically adorning a cabbage wrapped in tin foil.


I remember pabitin... I remember my uncle cheating and getting me all the good stuff just because I'm the birthday girl. I remember pin the tail on the donkey... YES, I experienced that game firsthand and no we didn't accidentally pinned it on someone's butt. Pinning it on someone's ass is just something films fabricated, it's not real and it's corny. Anyway, my parties were always complete with games and clowns and gifts and the dreaded newspaper dance. Oh and who would fail to include the staple game, Trip to Jerusalem? Gawd...

My folks took my birthday WAY too seriously... like those waiters in Pizza Hut did with Lyle's birthday.

But then again... why not? It IS the day of your birth after all. You're the biggest coincidence that ever happened in your parents life. There were millions of sperm.. there were so many chances of a different egg cell. It just so happens that there was a particular sperm and a particular egg that formed... YOU!

Ugh. Now I'm grossing myself out.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... not all chinese folk are loaded. ^_^

5:20 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

haha!! sorry iamstorm.. I just have this fondness for using the word "chinese" and all the assumptions that come with it. haha my friends get ticked off by that and we sometimes go into a wild frenzy of racial discrimination.. haha

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nadala na ako...ayoko na sa blogger account..haha.kidding.:)

ang galing ng UST!!:) i knew na sila yung mananalo kahit di pa i-na-announce.hehehe.:)

ang cool naman nung bday celeb na yun! hehe

4:30 PM  
Blogger p a n i c doll said...

Proves that simple things can make other people hap-hap-happy :)

And yeah, before, my mom would buy me a dress just for my birthday party. They'd prepare a lot of food, invite a lot of guests that I've never seen in my life and there's the palayok and pabitin that I missed.

I'm still a kid at heart that even at my 16th birthday, my dad hired a magician. Haha, it was really fun and unforgettable. I wasn't even embarrassed about the whole thing.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! got myself laughing out on that waiters!

imagine, juice ko! medyo embarassing!

anyway, he's a lucky guy for having friends like you.

and you guys are lucky for having him as a friend. i expect palagi niya kayong nililibre. sarap talaga ng may galante sa barkada!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

hahaha we also did that to our friend last year... the guys at pizza hut are crrrrrazy! super kulit talaga, nakakatuwa as in bigay na bigay. hehehe...

congrats sa inyo sa cheerdance... *grumbles* hindi ako bitter, pramis. *grumbles even more*

[to pam: "ang galing ng UST!!:) i knew na sila yung mananalo kahit di pa i-na-announce.hehehe.:)" => TRAITOR! hehehehe]

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the first time i read your blog. hey, real good writing...how come all those around me are REALLY REALLY GOOD writers...am left to do all the appreciation...keep on writing, my dear.

1:43 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

tita!! thank you po! ^__^ It means a lot coming from you well, everything you say means a lot to me haha thanks po for dropping by ^__^

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home