Monday, September 04, 2006

Wading through rat pee

At the moment: aching


A normal rainy day in the life of a Thomasian.

Our lit Agamemnon play was a success even though the music was a bit screwy. Our professor liked it and that's all that counts. She liked it that even minor parts were given importance and that all of the members were really "in character" I wasn't part of the cast since I directed the whole thing (I was assigned leader so I had no choice... damn, I wanted to act so bad too!)

Then my class ended.

My slice of hell began.

After an agonizing HOT day, things suddenly turned 360... rain was pouring like rocks on a cliff and we (my classmates and myself) find ourselves hopelessly stranded. This isn't really new to me since I've been dealing with this kind of problem since high school... UST has made me resilient and courageous against predicaments like these but this time, I just didn't want to wade.

There are a couple of reasons:

1.) It was already 9pm... the worse thing that you can do than wade, is wade in the fucking Dark

2.) I was alone. All my friends (yes.. ALL of them) lived in the Dapitan area while I (lucky-fuck-me) lived alongside Espana.

3.) My boyfriend sent me a message that said, "The water's not too high... but all the roaches came flying out of their holes.. I think their territory has been flushed out"

Who in their right mind ladies and gentlemen would wander off, in the dark, wading through roaches and rat pee and animal dung? I was frightened. And besides, I still had that issue with my left leg right? The red itchies? Remember? So I think I have a perfectly good excuse to be terrified. Yes, in my almost 7-year stay in UST, I was terrified to go out there. I used to be so smug about it you see... I'm not the squealy type who'd bitch about her shoes getting wet. I don't care much about my shoes. What I would want more is to get home. But now... I find myself reluctant in going out there and testing my fate. Yes... I was mortified.

BUT of course, if I didn't muster up the guts to WADE MY WAY BACK HOME (yes.. I waded ALL THE WAY) I would probably still be in UST... stranded, alone... and starving. The starvation I think, is the worst part of it all. So armed with the urge to take a nice long bath and a hot meal (the only thing I've eaten all day is half a bag of Mr. Chips) I leaped forward.

I must admit, wading with all those people (there was a pretty big number of them who, like me, wanted to take their destiny in their own hands) was more comforting than going through it alone. The crowd is also useful for deciphering the shallow and deep parts of the flood. Somebody shouts "MANHOLE!" and you'd know immediately where to place your foot. People are also considerate... and I realized that tragedy really do make people friendly. I made a bunch of friends just by laughing at comments like "Kawawa yung babae! Patalon talon pa siya sa mga bato.. nadulas din naman.. Wala rin.." People seriously helped each other get through the whole thing. People you wouldn't even give a second glance in a normal situation would hold your hand and guide you across the 'black sea' as if you were their own child.

I got home safely... wet with dirty water at least up to my knees. My shoes are ruined, I'm sweating all over (it's a work-out wading through currents you know.. >.<) and my hunger subsided (DRATS!) So yeah... I'm all good. At least I'm not itching.

Well, I'm just thankful I successfully waded my way back home before the rain started to pour again. Thank you God!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FLOOD = dirt, and everything eeeewy!
I MEAN IT!!! Sucks man!

10:48 PM  
Blogger KAI said...

That's one thing I really hate about the weather men in the Philippines. They're never accurate, haha. Well, poor them, weather in that place is a twist itself. Which is something I actually really miss. (;

8:43 AM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

Ew. Ew. Ew.

Rat pee?

Ew. Ew. Ew.

*shudders*

Anyway, that aside, it's true that disasters like that really bring out the best in people. But they can also bring out the worst. The first [and last] time I went to Divisoria, it rained SO hard, and none of us brought an umbrella. We took a trike and the stupid driver charged us fifty pesos for a six-peso ride. Grrrr.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant comment!!

aaarrrgh.

well.

i have to say...

"EEEWWWW!"

hehe.ingat!!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Christie Lucagbo said...

You had to WADE?!?!?!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Christie Lucagbo said...

You had to WADE?!?!?!

I am soooo lucky I have a good life over here. :)

I could surivive rain but NEVER rat pee. And about the squealy type of girl who'd bitch about her shoes getting wet? With all honesty, I PERSONIFY this squealy girl!

I hate getting wet. And cockroaches are gross. So yeah, I guess I'm happy being squealy. :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

brat>> I know!! waaa!!

kai>> exactly.. irritatingly sunny one time and then downpour the next.. nakakabaliw

donya>> ohhh yeah! and also those people who charge others for helping them wade.. hehe

pam>> haha! yeah thanks ^__^

damsel>> there's nothing wrong with being squealy.. I'm squealy too but for other reasons.. haha

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, disgusting. Jeeez, man. Poor you, dear. Good thing nothing bad happened to you.

Hmm, I still badly want to study in UST though it's always flooded:( Hayay..

5:18 AM  
Blogger Christie Lucagbo said...

btw sorbetrera... damsel-in-distress & apitana lipz & christie & superwoman ng bayn... well, we're one and all.

hahahaha.

guess i just love switching personalities. :)

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hala. nakita ko nga sa TV na grabe yung baha nun. x__x whoa. rat pee. hay.

mga obstacles na kailangan ma'overcome mu. :P naks. parang extra-challenge lang. :D haha ^^

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oo. Famous din ang UST dahil sa baha. (Though I still like the place.) Hmmm. Kakabasa ko lang ng isa pang thomasian blog..

ayun. baha nga daw.

at sinabi rin nya ang sinabi mo. ang ust, bahain talaga. 'la isla santo tomas..' wika nya.

AMEN. =)) lol. lalim ng tagalog ko. anyway.

AYOKO NG IPIS! yun ang worst nightmare ng isang lalakeng tulad ko na kahit daga; hinahawakan.

ayokong ayoko ng ipis. nababakla kasi ako sa mga ipis. kay gaganda nila. LOL!! http://vindication.wordpress.com

at least, nakauwi ka. :D

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gurl, ac here! :) hahaha i love the vid.. radio prod pa lng kami e, next sem pa tv prod namen.. anywy, i enjoyed reading ur entries.. hahahaha! lalo na nung baha. grabe stranded din ako nun. my class ended at 7:30, 10:30 na ko nakauwi. hehehe. loveyah! mwah! misss u soo!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home