Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wacked and APO?

At the moment: weee!


They say it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. Ergo, it is easier to smile than to frown since it takes less muscle contractions to do so.

To hell with that.

Frowning.. or in my case, making distorted faces is a turdmile easier than smiling. I noticed that while looking at my recently taken pictures. I usually purse my lips, stick my tongue out or make faces in what I would like to think are surprised expressions.. You might think that I'm just trying to be cute. But seriously, I am just too lazy to try and give a decent smile for the cam. Like most people, I still haven't found my perfect smile yet. Everytime there's a cam, I'm flustered thinking about how wide my lips are supposed to stretch, should I show some teeth or not, are my gums showing... you know, completely stupid things like that. Yes, I wonder and ponder about it during the "1... 2... 3... CLICK!" moments... a freak indeed I am. Thanks yoda.

1... 2... 3... wacked!




Okay... now that that sudden burst of narcissm is over and done with, let's move on to happy matters!



When song artists make a tribute album to another band/artist, instead of buying that album and listening to the new versions, I end up looking for the originals and reliving the magic it had that made it worthy for a tribute album. When Ultraelectromagneticjam came out, I suddenly clicked on my eraserheads playlist and was addicted to it for so many months. And now that Kami nAPO Muna is making waves in the scene, I find myself looking for original APO songs.. I was too young to be a fanatic during their time but I am familiar with almost all their songs. After all "'Sang Linggo nAPO Sila" was a show the family watched ever so religiously every afternoon back in the days. ^__^ Julian is the fanatic and he's actually condemning me that I am listening to APO only now.

But that's the point of tribute albums isn't it? For you to remember how good music was when they were playing it. For you to say... "Oh yeah... THAT's why they were such a hit back then!" Tribute albums give artists more respect than revivals... in my opinion. Please forgive me MYMP fans but I just simply refuse to get caught up in Juris' wonderful vocals when almost all she sings are other people's songs. I don't hate MYMP or anything but it annoys me that people forget who sang the original. (note: Expose a three-girl band originally sang "I'll never get over you [getting over me]") Juris has amazing vocals I'd give her that but sometimes I feel insulted that they're making so much money out of songs that aren't theirs. A few revivals here and there are okay but they made a name through someone else's music! There's no doubt about their talent in the technical aspect of music but what about their own vision? Their own songwriting skill? The stuff that made Eraserheads and APO so famous during their time?

Anyway I'd drop this because I know they have lots of fans and I don't really want to spur on a fight here.

"Mahirap Magmahal ng Syota ng Iba" is a cute, cute song! Please try to listen to the original! It's really cute! The arrangement is light and has that tinge of old-school waves to it. I honestly love it! The bass is endearing!

Long live Jim, Danny and Buboy! (Danny's my favorite.. haha!) Don't you just love the pants? hehe

15 Comments:

Blogger & said...

same here. my DAD was sooo irritated with NINA when she revived a song. binaboy daw nya yung kanta.

and agree naman ako.

and about MYMP - they're too popular. :) wala lang. not that i hate them. i just noticed na soobrang popular na nila no?

APO - my favorite is danny. wala lang. para siyang stuffed toy eh.

But that's the point of tribute albums isn't it? For you to remember how good music was when they were playing it...

sooo right. two thumbs up! actually ang panget ng DOOBIDOO (o kung ano man ang title nun). LALO NA YUUNG..

HETO NAA. HETO NAAAAAA. SHET. ang cooorny ng revival!

8:12 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

vinkz>> I'm so happy you agree! MYMP is too popular yes.. I don't hate them too.. I just refuse to join the bandwagon.. haha

Danny's your favorite too!! YAY!! He's so cute no? Tahimik lang tapos pangiti ngiti lang haha!

I'm playing APO stuff right now and I swear, my tita's dancing around! haha Talk about reliving the magic! ^__^

8:19 PM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

Honestly, I'm not really familiar with APO. My dad's a Sergio Mendez/Frank Sinatra/Nat King Cole/Billie Holiday guy, and my mom likes the same things.

It's weird though, I'm read Jim Paredes' blog, but I just found out like, LAST WEEK that he was part of APO. Hahahahaahahahahaha man I really have to acquaint myself with Filipino pop culture.

And I totally agree with MYMP. I WOULD bash them, but I'm too chicken. :P I think Juris' voice is refreshing at first, but it lacks soul, you know? After a while all their songs just started to sound alike. (Although technically, yes, they weren't exactly THEIR songs.)

I liked Torpe No. 5 though.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aay.:(

bakit sila gumagana pag blogger accounts?hehe.ako? ayaw pa rin!

anyway, i like your pics..they are sOoooo cute.:)

tapos, i like apo songs din. but im not really a fan. ngayon lang na na-re-revive nga ang mga kanta nila.:)

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok yun kami nAPO muna. ayos na album! :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

donya>> my dad's a fan of old blues and jazz too.. ^_^ I liked it as well but I liked ooold OPM too because of my titas.. haha And about MYMP, I am so THANKFUL you agree..! ^__^ Let us keep quiet though for they have many uh.. minions around and we might get burned at the stake. haha

pam>> you're the first to comment on my pics.. thanks dear! natatakot nga ako eh baka bigla ako hipan ng hangin maging ganyan na mukha ko habang buhay.. haha

ralphT>> tama ka diyan!! long live APO hiking society!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

comment naman ako about your smile. lahat sila comment sa apo, etc, eh. =p you know what, cute ka nga pag wacky pose mo, eh. =) just avoid in formal pics, though. =p

11:02 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

third>> haha!! thanks very much! Oh yeah formal pics.. I can just imagine my professor calling out my name.. "Ms. *my name here* you call this an ID picture?!" hahaha thanks for the comment ^__^

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camwhoring galore. Me? Never been photogenic. At least you still capture good shots with your distorted face exposures. Lol.

-------

Well I agree... showcasing your talent with someone else's 'been showcased already' for mainstream commercialization makes more room for money in their bank accounts and more termites in their cabinets. And sometimes, their own versions are not satisfaction-worthy. It turns out that similarly I started loving MYMP because of their rip-offs aside from Juris' spine-tingling vocal chords.

I don't think the APO tribute was kinda off. Or maybe it's just that I like the album artists' version of APO's songs. Perhaps the package tries to gather another strata of people who didn't appreciate the original versions and found the newer ones more eargasmic, then eventually convinced them to appreciate APO more. Lucky they have another package of the tribute with the orig tracks from APO themselves attached.

2:29 AM  
Blogger KAI said...

I grew up believing that I'm Danny's goddaughter. Because of a certain picture I kept seeing, through family albums, this photo of a guy, who strangely looks exactly like him, carrying me as a baby. Baka nga ninong ko siya? Hahaha, as if it matters. Anyway, have a great weekend! =)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Alternati said...

If frowning alot uses more muscles shouldn't that be better than smiling? You exercise your face more. The reason why I loved Ally Mcbeal alot before was because of Calista Flockhart pouting 90% of the time.

I've never been an MYMP fan either... Freestyle used to be great, when they stopped making originals, so did the popularity of their band.

I liked the APO tribute album. Ewan ko by Imago and Nakapagtataka by Spongecola are really good.

I too love "Mahirap Magmahal ng Syota ng Iba" haha

Did you know Jim Paredes has a blog?

2:04 PM  
Blogger p a n i c doll said...

I have the same sentiments about MYMP. I didn't like them because they lack originality. A Little Bit was fine but my ears want to shut down once I hear their other revivals on the radio. They lack creativity in terms of lyrics and stuff.

My judgement wouldn't change as long as they come up with something unique to the people that will make them really promising.

I love APO. And I used to watch 'em in San Linggo nAPO Sila. Hehe. Tama ba yung title? Hehe. I learned to love their music because of my dad. Hehe.

7:25 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

Neil>> I liked some of the songs in the tribute album too actually ^_^ It's just that some of them continuously disappoint me.. (hint: they've been in ultraelectromagnetic jam.. hehe) You do have a point ^__^ I really liked Moonstar88's version of Panalangin.. it's the first time I heard a girl sing it and it just sounds so good!

Kai>> haha! malay mo! and besides, Danny looks a little bit like everybody's ninong! haha! With those glasses and those droopy eyes.. hehe

alternati>> good point! haha I mustn't have been frowning a lot in picture because my face still looks like ma mon luk's siopao.. haha Ah yes, Imago always does it for me! I loved it too! And yeah, I've visited Jim's blog a couple of times ^__^

yuffie>> thank you SO much!! So true dear!! I'm so glad nobody's bashing me yet on this MYMP thing.. haha

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

somethings wrong with my browser.. this is the nth time ill be posting my comment.. everytime i press publish.. nag eerror siya hahaha.. nyways masasabi ko lang ur ryt dun sa sinabi mo.. IBA PA RIN ANG ORIG! pero ok lang naman MYMP at least they give justice to the songs.. ang masaklap kung i revive ng isang Hardcore Heavy Metal Rock band yung isang love song na ginawa mo.. You poured out your mind, emotions and heart to it.. tapos bababuyin lang nyahaha.. ang saklap di ba? sa APO naman I like thier songs.. Pumapatak nanaman ang ulan sa bubong nga bahay.. hehe soothing ung mga kanta nila.. and i like buboy best.. you should have seen him dance sa local version ng shall we dance >.< post ka.. post ka.. post ka.. err... YES! hehe beh! -Josh_Espi

3:37 PM  
Blogger Christie Lucagbo said...

OohhhhMyGaaad. So much to talk about.

I don't really care about MYMP. I don't hate 'em. I just don't care. I've heard their songs a million times already, and I don't seem to find anyhting special about their version. Just... singing. Without the emotiom. You know what I mean.

Hmmmm... Who's that guy? Is it him? Hehehe. But to be fair, he's cute. :D

Actually, I practice my smile in front of the mirror. I swear.

APO!!! They rock! They really, really do! Same with E-HEADS!!! No one could beat them. Gad, thinking about them hypes me up. Whoooo! E-heads! Hehehehe. I just loooooovvve their songs. Cause no matter how funny they can be, there's some sense in it. Plus they tell stories.

Unlike a lot of OPM artists today whose songs are cheesy and whose lyrics don't make sense...

Hehehehe. I'm still pumped up.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home