Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Reformat

At the moment: panic-stricken


Lesson for the day folks: make a back-up for those files!

If you're a download whore like me and your drive is filled to the brim with MP3's, manga and heaps of pictures of "beautiful men" then what happened to me a while ago would most probably send you to a whirlwind of despair as it did to me. My laptop went into a wild hanging frenzy just a couple of hours ago. I suck at giving technical description so I would settle for: "my laptop just got screwed." Every program I opened froze upon initiation.

The culprit? A pesky USB flash drive.

Julian did almost everything to save my virtual self (read: my laptop). Luckily, system restore and ol' buddy Norton patched things up. (not entirely though.. I still feel that impending doom cowering overhead) so his advice was that I back all my files up and if the virus acts up again, we reformat the whole laptop and erase every blasted thing. Start anew. But next time, protect it more.

Hmm.. this kind of reminds me how I used to deal with relationships.

Before Julian, I was caught in the vicious cycle of dating. It's a lather-rinse-repeat procedure to me and every guy is the same. I would like to think of it as a phase. The instant my boyfriend screws up, I immediately run my "antivirus software" and eradicate the bug. I "reformat".. deleting all the files related to him and then start anew..

The problem with me is that I don't prevent future virus attacks. I just allow them to keep on coming believing that it will make me stronger. (I found out later that it didn't.. it just made me paranoid and arrogant) Having all that experience under my belt made me think I was invincible. Like there wasn't anything a man can do that will surprise me. I could predict every move.. from the very brief ligawan to the murky waters of a steady relationship.

I failed to realize though that by anticipating every bad thing that is going to happen, all the little good things has sped by without a trace.

That's how Julian surprised me.

There I was anticipating his next wrong move.. but he does none of it. Instead, he makes these surprisingly silly 'puppy love' antics. Like wearing another uniform so he can go inside the AB building and give me flowers.. like slipping another law inside the Philippine Constitution that says he vows to give me his life, liberty and property (or something to that effect.. check Article II section 5).. like how he sends me letters both virtual and old school.. basta stuff like that. Stuff that makes me smile just thinking about it.

Anyway, I've ranted long enough. It's time to get back to work.


P.S. To everyone who has voted for me in the poll, thank you very much ^__^ I a not expecting to win but support from you guys makes me feel like a winner. No, I am not sucking up. I'm just really, really touched. And to people who drop comments, I can't thank you enough.. you make blogging a very rewarding act.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, what is happening to the world? So many laptops and PCs have already been infected with a virus from, yep, a USB flash disk. A friend of mine just had got his flash disk infected, and he used it in two other PCs not knowing it was infected so yun. Nagcrash yung PC na isa. Then while we were talking about the said mishap, another friend was using a laptop and our CI's USB, and lo and behold, her laptop crashed too.

Aaaand yun. Wala lang. Haha. Glad to see you and Juli-boy are still going strong.

Oh yeah, voted for you in that poll thingie.

Later!:)

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home