Friday, July 21, 2006

RENT... my candle.

At the moment: busy busy busy


Before you continue reading this post, I suggest you download this mp3 and try to listen to it. It may not appeal to some tastes but it's relevant to my post and will help you appreciate this entry more.

Rent - Light My Candle

I hope you enjoy it!

I'm not going to discuss how the movie rises up or fails in comparison to its stage play counterpart. This particular song from RENT is among my many favorites in the movie. Maybe because it's light and deviated from the depressing reality they're all in (I'm all about escaping reality). It's about two people flirting in the moonlight. I found it cute and catchy.


[EXCERPT]

ROGER [stutters]
Oh no.
I mean you do - have a nice -
I mean - you look familiar

MIMI
Like your dead girlfriend?

ROGER
Only when you smile.
But I'm sure I've seen you
Somewhere else -

MIMI
Do you go to the Cat Scratch Club?
That's where I work - I dance

ROGER
Yes! They used to tie you up -

MIMI
It's a living.

ROGER
I didn't recognize you,
Without the handcuffs


I just found the whole exchange, candid, natural yet very engaging. They were playing each other's game, you don't know who's making who uncomfortable. At first it's apparent that Roger is helplessly wandering in Mimi's wily charms; With his stuttering and staring it's obvious that he's hooked but he turns things around by mentioning details about the kind of "dancing" Mimi does. He was just so playful, I can't help smiling like an idiot. I'm actually envious.

How many people have this kind of communication skills? Can you honestly say "dead girlfriend" and "they used to tie you up" to someone you just met? I envy their ability to just spew out whatever comes into their minds and get away with it. Things in this world would be so much more interesting if people spoke out exactly what's on their mind. I'm not saying things will be better, I'm just saying it will be a whole lot more interesting.

I have long forgotten the art of flirting. When you have a steady relationship, flirting is unnecessary. Everything you do is already close to perfection to your partner. Sometimes, even your lambing can be interpreted the wrong way. Like you're guilty of something and that you're trying to get to his good graces to cushion the confession. It is nice though to not feel the pressure of trying to impress someone and luring someone to your game.

Yes. Flirting is a game. You can either get too personal or strictly play the game for what it is. If you get too personal, then you must play with all your might because your aiming for a relationship. I don't know why people have such a negative perception on flirting. Flirting happens even if you're not aware of it. Whoever branded flirting as that act wherein you wear little clothing and "showcase" your assets to the subject?

Laughing a little too much with his obviously shallow jokes and giving that subtle pats on the shoulder while you tell your story is already flirting (as long as you have the intention to flirt of course). And in my opinion, subtle flirting is the best kind of flirting.

Only skilled people like Roger and Mimi can flirt so blatantly and successfully get away with it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aawwww...you watched it too? :D My fave is I'll cover you. Liked tango maureen too. :D

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk, tsk...

my favorites from this musical:
- Seasons of Love
- I'll Cover You (reprise)
- Tango Maureen
- Rent

5:20 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

my second favorite is La Vie Boheme! ^__^ I've listened to it so many times I'm starting to memorize it.. >.<

Tango Maureen is really cute. ^__^

Mark's voice is really, really little-boy-ish and cute. haha

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Things in this world would be so much more interesting if people spoke out exactly what's on their mind. I'm not saying things will be better, I'm just saying it will be a whole lot more interesting."

AMEN, amen.

..and oh, I love No Day But Today.
I heart heart it! :)

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched it like last week and I'm really in love with La Vie Boheme. It's so fantastic! I just find myself singing it out of the blue ;D

3:55 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

yeah! La Vie Boheme!! Me too! I'm oddly singing it out of the blue since I got hooked on rent ^__^

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home