Monday, July 31, 2006

Mama... how do you...?

At the moment: tired but won't sleep


Remember when we were kids, how we used to ask our mom for almost everything that needs to be done? We always knew our moms had an answer to everything. After all, wasn't she the one who patched your knee up when you fell on your bike? Wasn't she the one who invented the procedure of gulping a spoonful of sugar after your medicine? Wasn't she the one who magically makes your day brighter by serving just the right breakfast?

It was because of my mom that I took drawing seriously.

I was so frustrated of not being able to draw a decent caricature of a person that I ended up brawling and throwing tantrums one hot April day (yeah.. back in '93!) And as any kid my age at that time would have done, I seeked for my mom's help. She always had an answer to everything. She would surely know how to draw... right?

In truth, my mom (like almost every grown-up I know) completely suck at drawing. What she told me was, "You draw a letter U honey... and then you put hair and then eyes.. then the nose and the little mouth" At that time, it may have looked like a weird bean-like creature but to a 6-yr old me, it was the perfect picture of a real person. I never forgot that... "The Letter U" tactic. I'm still using it right now actually.. but in a more complex way of course. With my mom's instruction, I had a steady guideline and I took it from there. Now.. I draw fairly well. I'm no class A artist but I take pride in the fact that I can draw anime characters who look like anime characters and not incomprehensible blobs of what seem to be human limbs.

I remembered this because my youngest sister asked me to teach her how to draw just today. She was entering this slogan-making thing in school and she needed my help. I wanted to tell her "The Letter U" tactic but I figured it was useless since she'd be making a SLOGAN (yeah.. duh.)

It's weird isn't it? How we used to think our mothers have all the answers to everything. Now I rarely ask my mother for anything at all. Whatever I needed to know, I look for it in the internet, my friends, some more friends... anyone actually except my mother. There is one thing though that I've managed to ask her during her short one-month visit here in the Philippines (which was just last April):


Me: Mom... Is it really difficult giving birth?
Mom: Uhh... no. It's no big deal.. very easy actually.
Me: Was I a tough baby? I mean did I give you a hard time pushing me out?
Mom: (thinks for a moment) No... I remember the doctor giving me some kind of medicine and then I fell asleep. When I woke up, you were already in this world.


The first thought that came to my mind was "Holy shit, I'm adopted" I mean, how can she not know how her labor went? Did I just pop out of her when she was asleep?! Haha! But seriously, my mom made the whole pregnancy and labor thing sound soooo easy and sooo stress free that I honestly couldn't believe it. I have heard so many stories of agonizing labor and mothers screaming their lungs out in the delivery room, vowing never to have kids again. (and then come back a year later for another kid.. >.< Filipinos...) I've probably seen too many films. So on to the conversation.


Me: Mom.. I'm having really irregular periods... will it be difficult for me to have kids?
Mom: No.. your period will stabilize soon. You're still young.
Me: Mom.. I'm 19.
Mom: As I've said, still young. And besides, it's so easy to get pregnant.
Me: I don't like kids. I might not have one.
Mom: What are you talking about? I expect grandCHILDREN in 5 years!


Oh yeah.. give it up to my mom for being so blunt about it. She even told me stuff about how she got pregnant but I wouldn't disclose that here (do I hear sighs of relief? ^__^). I find her last line funny because she didn't say "I expect you to get married in 5 years" what she clearly specified were grandchildren. Haha! I love my mom for trusting me to have made the right decision with Julian.

When I was a kid, I asked her how to draw people. I asked her why the Earth wasn't the center of the universe. I asked her why the garbage collector stole my bike. I asked her why I couldn't play outside in the afternoon and instead force myself for siesta...

It makes me both scared and thrilled at the same time that I'm so close to asking her how to become a good mother.



FYI: I'm not pregnant. >.<



NOTE: THANKS to VINKS of http://utakgago.blogspot.com for featuring me in his blog. Please visit his blog too! Lots of interesting posts to tickle your mind. Thanks again vinkz!

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this entry! :) Soooo effing true.. Our moms are our heroes..

As we grow older, and hopefully, become more mature, we try to learn things on our own... We almost always only ask for help from our moms when we just sooo badly need it and she's the last person we would think of running to.

However, we can never never change the fact that she'll be the best resource person.. The best 911. On call. Anytime, everytime.

In 5 years darling... :)

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha.. loooved the entry! i love how you wrote it. :) buahaha.

GRANDchildren in 5 years. haha. :D

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mom this was such a true heartfelt entry. It's great to know that the lines I try for the first time on my children combined with the ones I borrow from my mom will be taken to heart and are not a complete waste of my breathe. Best of luck to you in 5 years.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww... this post is so sweet...

As a kid though, I used to ask my dad everything. My mom was the one I ran to when I was hurting, and my dad knew all the stuff.

But I remember my mom teaching me to draw. Lam mo yung bahay kubo? Yung box with sticks and a ladder? Yun yung drawing lesson namin...

...hay.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha:)

natuwa ako dun..hehe..yes..talang may..in 5 years...ehehehe.=)

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post. loved it.

i wonder how moms do it though. as if they know all the answers in the world.

this one time, i asked my mom how to remove the ballpen mark in the acetate. my mom told me to put some alchohol on cotton and apply it in a CIRCULAR motion. with specific instructions pa. i was thinking... how the heck will it be able to remove this?!

anyway, i tried it. IT WORKED!! IT REALLY WORKED!

i may get frustrated with my mom sometimes, but honestly, she rocks! ;)

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awaw.... talagang close kayo ng mum mo ah... ahihi kami din ni ermats close... minsan nga apagkakamalan na kaming magsyota wahahahah... la lang..

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looove this entry. a well-made post. LOVE IT.

my mom - as far as i remember - taught me how to read. 3 years old, she'd buy a newspaper and let me read in phrases.

that's it. now, i'm a genius in ENGLISH, haha.

and that she supplies me with lunch when i was in grade 1. and that she gives me so MUCH care when i was still a child.

now, she's in new york. we're not yet seeing each other for 7 years. wow. it sounds so tagaaaal. missing her a lot... (naalala ko nanay ko sa post mo. AWWWW)

that's that.

ayun. http://utakgago.blogspot.com thank God you're not pregnant.

btw, my mom was against my 'playboy' attitude. my dad was against her.. HAHA. ayos!!

8:39 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

brat>> Yes.. it's funny how she knows just what we're thinking.. I can never lie to my mom straight at her face.. kita niya kaagad eh

cars>> thank you dear!

four times a mom>> thank you so much. Your comment means a lot! I suddenly wish my mom can read this..

donya>> waaa! tinuruan din ako ng mommy ko pano gumawa ng bahay kubo!

pam>> yeah.. 5 years.. hehe kakakaba.. ^__^

christie>> yeah kapag naka nag-mode sila talagang ang hirap niola pakisamahan. Pero most of the time, they're right as much as we hate to admit it ^__^

gener>> waaa!! grabe naman yun! Ako napagkakamalan lang kaming magkapatid.. ang masama pa dun, AKO daw yung mas MATANDA!!! waaa

utakgago>> haha men will always be men.. and yeah, I'll be damned if I get pregnant before marriage.. >.<

thanks everyone!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moms are the best! Although I'm not really close to her, as to everyone in the family, I still believe that I am growing into someone better because of her. I learn from her mistakes and become better. I have a love-hate relationship with her but I always turn to her whenever I'm in need os something. May it be money, contact people, resources, etc. She really is the BEST...

I also don't plan on getting married and having little people of my own... Certainly not in 5 years...

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, marriage and kids are like eons from my plans.

Haha, I don't even plan what I'm going to do this lunchtime (I'm in school, LOL). Haha.

I love my mom though she's not my favorite person in the world as I am to her. Haha.

My mom only taught me how to cook. She never taught me how to draw. Lol.

Love your post!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moms:
you love 'em, hate 'em, and can't live without them.

bow.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. in 5 years? diba bata pa un para magkaanak? 24y/o? dba? tanung lang

7:09 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

baylon>> haha yeah I guess... siguro kasi my mom got pregnant when she was 19.. kaya she's expecting it earlier.. >.<

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

little nicoles and julians in five years.

its so cute.:) i love your mom, so witty.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. mga nanay talaga iba iba! hahaha..

Mom ko ayaw akong magkaBf till 40! hahahahaa =))

Grabeeeh. anywayz..

i'm more close to my dad though cuz my mom is more of a so-called disciplinarian in the house. But most of the time she's always around when we need her. ;)

Grandchildren in 5 years. LOL. ;)

Take care!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading this entry. :)

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you to all mommas in the world!!!!!
(including mine, who's in heaven right now...)
thanks also, sorbetera, for that nice entry

3:23 PM  
Blogger Sayote said...

Nice post :) Anyway, it's always comforting that our mother is by our side every step of the way :)

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Your mom wants grandchildren in 5 years!!! LOL Nice entry Chimmy-san! ^^ And I like the color of your layout btw. =D

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home