Monday, July 24, 2006

My Indie Director Hero

At the moment: Thrilled


NEWSFLASH
Rommel Tolentino bagged Best Film prize in the Short Films category for the Cinemalaya 2006 Philippine Independent Film Festival


Rommel Tolentino is my uncle.

He has been my hero ever since childhood. Before he was a director, he was an awesome storyteller. I remember rainy days in a small room shared by me and my brother. Tito Ogie (as we call him) would sit with us and suddenly ask if we want a story. He would start his story and we would listen attentively. The rainy day shall come to pass sooner than we expect and we shall be taken to a surreal journey of pure, vivid fantasy.

After his story, I remember asking where he got the story because I wanted to hear it again. And then he said, "I can't tell it to you all over again.. I made it up just as I went"

That moment marked it for me. I looked up to him with eyes of adoring fervor. I decided I wanted to be just like him. I wanted to make stories.. I wanted imagination that can reel the whole world in. I wanted vision... I wanted art. I was only 7 years old at that time.

Tito Ogie followed his dream. He took up Communication Arts in UST and Film Studies in UP. He tried working for advertising agencies after he finished Communication Arts but quit shortly after because he admitted he can't work in that kind of environment. In my opinion, my uncle desrves to be in a spot wherein he can fully extend his imagination and freedom. A world where he has perfect control because through his mind, only beautiful things come out. That's why deadlines, magazines and newspapers aren't for him. In a country ruled by capitalism, Tito Ogie chose art. The only industry where money is scarce and second in priority.

Whenever I doubt the reason why I took up Communication Arts instead of Nursing, I recall Tito Ogie and how he managed to make something out of himself just by following his passion. He makes me believe that it's still possible to do what you want and get money out of it.


This is his winning piece:


Orasyon


Let us support Independent Filmmakers! Please watch movies from the Cinemalaya Film Festival. For more information please visit their site.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love indie films. it's a shame that filipino filmmakers don't get enough support and exposure.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.. that's definitely something to be proud of. :)

anyway, have a nice day! *hugs*

cheers,

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.. galing naman ng uncle mo! =D

BE PROUD!

:D =)

Godbless lagi tsaka thanx sa pagtag at comment! :D

1:23 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

yes! let us love indie films! The raw factor of it is so appealing ^__^

Thanks guys!!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. :D

Congrats sa uncle mo. :P

TC. ;D

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow congrats..

hmm i really like films like this..too bad i cant catch them this time..

anyway..goodluck on your passion :)

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home