Monday, December 04, 2006

Jumping into the love boat

At the moment: happy. oh-so-sodding happy.


I received this message just a few moments ago:


Why do most people seem to fall for their friend at one point or another?

It's because we see a great person. Someone who knows us inside and out, someone who has been there when we're down, someone who knows what makes us laugh and what makes us cry. Someone who cares.

We see the perfect someone in our friend but what we don't see is that as soon as we take that next step, they will turn into someone we never knew at all.


It's true though, isn't it? I know a lot of people who are quick to jump to the gun as soon as they get a little too attached to their opposite-sex friends. I have a LOT of guy friends.. at least I used to before I got serious with Julian and it's not a weird thing for friends to jump into the love boat.

I remember Ragnarok. You know, the online game that was a humongous hit during its time? Yeah Ragnarok. In Ragnarok, you get to upgrade your character to a higher class called "transcendent class" after leveling it up to maximum 99. After which, you go through Rebirth. All your skills goes back to nothing... you start as a noob and have to work your way up again.

It's tiresome but people go through that because they want to reach the top again but now as another character. You've experienced how it is being friends.. now you have to forget all about that and then start again, this time as lovers. That's probably why some people find it so awkward to date their friends. They don't go through "Rebirth" so they feel completely lost and helpless when taking the next step.

EDIT: because a lot think that this post misses something, I've decided to extend the topic a bit. haha! Actually, I could've written more about it but I was just too lazy so here's the full version!

Have I experienced falling for a friend? I'm not sure. I might have but you see, I'm not exactly the do or die type of person (though I can be given just the right signals). I might drop subtle hints that I like the guy just a little bit more than slap-on-the-back friends but once I get the feeling that it would lead me completely nowhere except maybe total and utter destruction, I'd stop those feelings with a screeching halt and find another one to set my eyes on. I don't know why but I never had a hard time doing that. I don't think it's because I'm a tough overconfident chick... it's probably because I'm afraid of getting myself hurt. It's stupid to force someone to like you.

For the past several relationships I've been in, we never really got to the "close friends level" first before taking the plunge. It's always "acquaintance-friends-lovers" for me. In the friend stage, if I feel that I might like him as something more than best buddies, I drop hints right away. Aggressive? Yeah, maybe. But in this way, I don't get hurt.


In the end, it's all about protecting yourself from unnecessary pain and despair.


So if you're stuck in that kind of situation, (falling for your good friend I mean) test the waters first. You don't have to take a blind jump, humans unconsciously give signs to each other. Learn to read those signs and give up wholeheartedly when you see that it just wouldn't work. (especially if you're a girl) Set aside your feelings and maybe someday.. (maybe) they'll feel just like you do and then you'd live happily ever after with lots of babies and a house in the suburbs.

Okay, maybe that was a tad too cheesy but hey, when it comes to the big L-word, everybody's a rookie.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(hinde ba putol yang post mo?)

Hmm, I agree. I have a lot of friends who fall for their other friends.

7:17 PM  
Blogger abidubi said...

been there.. never been friends again.. haayy..

7:59 PM  
Blogger DES CONLU said...

ahaha that's why i never dare. a lot of times i thought of it but a glimpse of a destructed friendship always pulls me back. haha okay na yung nagsasapakan nalang kayo..

10:43 PM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

oo nga, parang putol.

anyway... yeah i've seen that happen to my friends as well. all of us were against it, because it would weird out the whole barkada, but NOOOO they still went ahead with it [obvious ba na naiinis pa ako?]. anyway, it didn't work out, and they're still friends, but not as close as they were before...

anyway...

hmm

what was my point?

dang sorry i forgot. :P

11:22 AM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

agree:)

dami kong kakilalang ganyan..=P

well..hindi ako makarelate sa ragnarok.bwahaha.:)

i agree with bea and donya. parang putol

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i love your post. =)

agree ako. ang hirap pa kung sobrang tatag ng friendship niyo - pero nung naging lovers kayo, parang nag'iba. been there. =c ang hirap pag wala na kayo, sayang yung friendship. uber ouch pa kung medyo pangit yung reason ng break-up.

i think yung mga friends na naging lovers na hanggang ngayon sila pa eh malupit. XD

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i sooo love your layout! depp=<3! nice one!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE is one of the most complicated cobwebs spun between two individuals. strangled, vindicated, yet we love the feeling.

okay, i'm getting cheesy.

RAGNAROK! Gaaad, I miss the game so much. Yeah, the transcendent jobs and the Rebirth thing, my monk is still a monk and it will never be a champion.

/sob.

haha. :)

daan lang!!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*aray*

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more..
In love everyone is a noob lolx..

8:02 PM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

the continuation pretty much summarizes it all..hahahaha...:P

mas 'can relate' na ako.hehehe.:)

3:45 PM  
Blogger KAI said...

Err, that's why I've always refused engaging in a friends-to-lovers scenario. For me, it just never works.

3:24 PM  
Blogger ice_edge said...

Girl, I LOVE the Ragnarok metaphor. I never really reached the third jobs, hell, not even the second job, but yeah, point taken. Hehe..

Close friends turning into lovers? Been there... stopped even before we got into a romantic relationship. I just felt like it wouldn't work. We're still friends, though. All's well... Couldn't agree more with your post. Especially with the picking-up-the-unconsious-hints part. Yeah. /no1

5:50 PM  
Blogger The King said...

ay naku, sinabi mo pa. Love seems to be full of lessons we cant seem to get enough of. it's the universal topic, anyone has something to say. =p

have i been in love with a friend? guilty as charged, hehe. with a best friend? hindi pa naman. para sa akin kasi, basta may spark, whether or not it's a best friend, it wont matter.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry christmas! ^_^

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love is so...

weird.

anywaaaayy, MERRRRY CHRISTMAAASSS!!!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhhhhh, where's yo' xmas post? :P

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nyay~ A friend from the opposite sex changes when with a relationship with you. Hmm, I really agree. =__=; It's quite annoying at times. It's like a new guy replaced the friend from before. Uhmm... =__=

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, test the water first before plunging in. sabe nga sa basketball "box out", kesehodaong kakilala mo pa yan or what. who will take care of ur heart anyways?

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home