Monday, November 27, 2006

Roughed Up Lady

At the moment: PSYCHED


My mother grew up a tomboy. She had short frizzy hair and an expression that would leave you running home to your momma. I saw pictures of her from way back and she really looked like a big, bad boy out to beat you up. And she admitted this to me and is also really proud of it.

Now she's the most loving woman and wife I ever know.

Growing up, I guess I got most of her childhood experiences as well. I was known throughout our neighborhood as "Ang Prinsesa" not because I was dainty and feminine, but because I practically OWNED the street. Yes, I have bragging rights. I can show you pictures of my birthday parties and you'd see ONLY ONE girl (other than me) in the bunch. I played tumbang preso, langit lupa (whose rhyme I still think is pretty demonic until now), black 1-2-3 and a whole lot of other street games and I kick ass in it! Except of course popular girl games like jackstones and chinese garter. I suck at that.

I got my first childhood injury while riding at the back of a mountain bike. My big toe got caught in the bicycle chains in such a way that in whatever direction you pedal, my toe would most likely get sliced clean off my feet. They had to dismantle the bike to get my toe off and by that time they did, it was bleeding like hell.

That and a LOT of other bruises make me less and less of a dainty woman as my aunts would've liked. I haven't been in an actual fistfight when I was a kid, but I sure have been threatened lots of times. Small boys back then have a tendency to shout "SASAPAKIN KITA!" when provoked, but I stand my ground and they never lay a hand on my face. They just look at me fiercely and probably punch me on the shoulder but after that, they just run home.

I had some girl friends... but almost like every other girl friend I had since grade school, they somewhat betrayed me, talked behind my back and gave me the cold shoulder eventually. Up until now, I never understood why they did that.

So I just ended up sticking to my guy pals who taught me how to sneak out of the house during siesta time, run around the neighborhood pretending to be airplanes and bully ate rosie to give us Bazooka Bubble Gums and Fanta.

Right now, I wouldn't say I'm still that much of a tomboy. Maybe like mom, I was changed by romance too. (yes, how icky) The idea of love thrilled me and made me look at my guy friends as potential partners rather than just normal adversaries. As much of a tomboy my mom was (and she really was believe me) she just turned into this wonderful woman who actually concedes. Sometimes she even asks me what kind of clothes would look good on her and how should she wear her hair. How about me? Well, I make weekly trips to the parlor to get my nail done and whatever else done. I don't wear pants anymore (I wear SKIRTS now.. did you think I meant I go around naked now? haha)... I feel better going out with make-up on. But then again, I do believe I still have that Black 1-2-3 instinct in me.

That kind of thing never fades.


That's me in the middle and two of my guy pals. My sick relatives posted that little "my idea of fun" sticker in the picture... so it kinda looks perverted to the green eye. Sorry about that. >.<

16 Comments:

Blogger abidubi said...

totally can relate!.. ^_^

ohh.. i think I might have an idea why they do those mean things..
my friend who happens to be close sa boys and hangs out with them during free period, eh ung iba naming mga kaklase eh sinasabing flirt raw or watever kasi nga ganun.. di nila alam na she felt much comfortable being with the guys that with those supladita girls.. ^_^

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh, yes. loving the opposite sex. i myself have loved girls than guys!

sabi nga ng mga babae, ang sarap kasama ng guys. parang comportable sila..

ganun din naman ang sinasabi ng mga lalake sa babae.

:D and i love the pic. wow, you're sexy back then!! :))

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAAAA. I can so totally relate to you! I had more guy friends than girl friends back then (I don't know now), because I can relate more to them. I'm not the Barbie and jackstone type of kid.

XD Sisiga-siga rin ako, even up to now. My surname's SIGUA, and people'd change it into SIGA.

lol.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been the pampered princess :) I've never played outside the house, with all the kids in the street (basically because the subdivision where I grew up is exclusive, and all other parents are scared that their kids might get lost, or be kidnapped!) so I had to learn tumbang preso and piko with the help of my parents... The rest was in school - the Block 123 or was it Black 123. Whichever.
Bato Pick. And everything else!

Then as I grew up, late elementary and high school, I've had lots of guy friends. Yun nga lang, others think that makes me a flirt. Well, oh, well. The hell I care :)

Just look at me now, and judge :)

I miss the good ol' kiddo days!
I want candy :)

10:43 PM  
Blogger KAI said...

Grew up with men, so resultantly, I get all bitchy around a bunch of girls. I have this barkada back there who I believe are my life-long friends, but much to their luck, they had to deal with my being a manbitch at times. It's just catty around girls, isn't it? Haha. Totally can relate! :)

BTW girl, changed my URL. If you don't mind updating your links. Thank a bunch!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi nicole! I love your posts and can totally relate to it. I was more comfty with the guys back when I was in elementary, but I got "ilang" when I was in hs since its an exclusive school. And now, I'm kinda ilang parin. I really wish I could change that attitude.

btw, can you advertise the faculty show in your blog. Your blog is so popular and many people, including me, read your posts. =)

thanks a bunch!!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in college, I got friends within my block and co-Psychology studs. But after school, I hang-out mostly with guys. We'd go to the arcades til the mall closes and we hear the ending song "Here at SM, we got it all for you" haha.. and other related stuff you hear when the mall is closing
I enjoyed hanging out with my guyfriends. I also learn a lot of things from them esp how to dissect yun mga 'damoves' tho I must admit I still need a lot of talent and confidence to spot a guyfriend who'll fall in love me.
And someone did and I didn't know it was happening already.
I didn't expect someone in our group will.

Going back, yeah! it's really fun to have guy friends. ^^
they can do so many things that girls can't.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

i used to be a mega-tomboy as well. i grew up joining pinecone wars [basically we have bases and hurl pinecones at each other] and playing power rangers. oh, and fighting over turns on the super nintendo. hehe

but i'm glad to say that i had an equal number of guy and girl friends [other girls who were freakish like me].

1:12 PM  
Blogger Donya Quixote said...

wait wait wait one more comment:

johnny depp=h-h-h-h-haaaawt *sizzle*

loved secret window. medyo weird pero that's johnny depp for you. *squeals*

1:15 PM  
Blogger -pAm- said...

i think this post of yours is something i can totally relate to and oh i love it..hehehehe...:)

ganda ng pic mo..hahaha^^

8:02 PM  
Blogger The King said...

haha! i cant relate.. but still, nice post. =p

i actually dont have a tomboy childhood friend. because on our street, there is a balanced number of boys and girls my age. at kahit sa mga pinsan pa, medyo balanced naman.

nakakamiss maging bata!

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I can somewhat relate to your childhood, Chimera-sama. XD But the difference is that I played with a lot of little boys because there were a lot of boys in our subdivision. Ehek! But they were a lot of fun rather than playing with Barbie and Ken. LOL! We played with dolls too.. But not dress up. We decapitate the heads, tear off the legs etc... Then, interchange. Hahah!!

By the way, you look so cute when you were a kid. XD Heheh!

3:10 PM  
Blogger DES CONLU said...

haha siga ka pala e! i also have a friend like that. she's more at ease with guys than with female friends because at one point or another, they talked behind her back.my most boyish memory was that i always insisted to be red one whenever we play power rangers. i never liked the sissy girlies yellow and pink!

11:11 PM  
Blogger p a n i c doll said...

I grew up as a girly girl and I had this idea stuck in my head when I was younger that skirts are for girls and trousers are for boys.

And then, I also remember that kids are kind of afraid of me because of my grandfather. I tried making friends with them pero I failed. Kaya snob din ako sa kanila. I'm bad.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea. 'atta girl! lol =P

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to belong to a childhood barkada with only me being the girl. i learned how to ride (and race!) bicycles, play cards (pati yung teks hehe), sneak from the house on siesta hours, and got hooked on video games. it was a lot of fun.

when we reached high school, we eventually got on with our own lives. and everything that happened to me since then made me quite "ilang" din with boys.

but now, i'm a part of my boyfriend's barkada. yes, nagiging lalaki na naman ako haha. they currently got me addicted on video/arcade games again and some horror manga.

guys can be cool friends. =D

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home