Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fifth (Bitter) Wheel

At the moment: Tired and Weak


Side note: Why is it so difficult to accomplish things when you write them down? At least in my case anyway. I'm the type of person who's fond of writing "Things to do" lists in hopes of organizing my life. However, it seldom materializes! My "Things to do" becomes a pointless "Wishlist" They become things I wish I could have done at that time. Sad... really.


Now onto the main course: Fifth Wheel Crisis.

Being the Third Wheel is bad enough.. being the Fifth Wheel is just suicide. Although American tv producers found a way to look at the Fifth Wheel in a less pathetic way (in their show The Fifth Wheel) the truth still stands: You're chopped liver in a couples-crowd. A lot of you guys may contest me on this saying that couples try their best not to leave their friend out. But is that really possible when you're clung onto your lover like a koala on eucalyptus? Even if you're not, the conversation you have with your lover is far more intimate and personal than the one you can share with a friend. The two of you understand things your friend cannot. Most importantly, when you're in college (more so if you're still in highschool), you're blazing with hormones.. I hope you catch my drift. And besides, I'm not saying couples who go out with a fifth wheel are spawns of satan. They can't really help it if the Fifth Wheel feels left out... or jealous even.

I went to McDonalds with a couple of my friends. Yeah.. I was the Fifth Wheel. Don't get me wrong, it's not that they made me feel uncomfortable or awkward. They were very accomodating and got me into every conversation. They never talked about themselves and left me looking stupid. I went with them because I was secure about my own romantic relationship. I have a boyfriend and even if he wasn't there with me at that moment, at least I know I'm not looking/waiting for love. But I soon realized that having him can never equal to being with him. It's really impossible not to feel left out. I even began to think, if I'm feeling this way, how much worse is it going to be if I'm single-AND-looking?

Maybe it was pride. Like I didn't want to look helpless and loveless when in fact, I do have a boyfriend.

Or envy. I wanted to have the same thing that they're having. Cuddles, sweet talks and technically, lambing

Both may be true but then again, this is probably the best explanation: maybe I just missed my man.

If you can, avoid being the Fifth Wheel. I know I should be advocating self-confidence and self-esteem but I'm being realistic. Most of the time, being the Fifth Wheel strips you naked until you're left examining yourself why you're still single. This may not be true for all of us but right now I'm speaking for those who lack self-confidence like me.

Oh and you know what? Before the day was over, one of my other friends had her boyfriend pick her up.


Surrounded by 3 couples made me feel like I was this guy:



NOTE: Picture came from 40 Year Old Virgin movie poster.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dati, I had feelings of being left out too. It sucks big time.

Naks naman. "Maybe I just missed my man." Ayikeeeeee. Haha. Soree na.

Pahabol: The 40 Year-Old Virgin! Rhe movie took the lungs off of me. Haha.

10:34 PM  
Blogger sorbetera said...

hahaha!! sorry na rin! hahaha!!! I love 40 Year Old Virgin! Actually, natatawa lang talaga ako kay Steve Carell.. sobrang nakakatawa siya hehe

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah. Try being the only single and looking girl in a group of five. I've already exhausted myself by thinking of what's wrong with me, and I think I've somewhat resigned myself to the fact that I'm undateable. People beg to differ, but one just can't help feeling that way. It's a harsh world.

Yea well. Hope you're feeling better now!:)

chen

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home