Thursday, June 29, 2006

Why I Suddenly Liked Superman

At the moment: Hungry.. >.<


Superman flies! Would you look at that cape? Is that... plastic?



I watched Superman Returns because I wanted to know what the hype was all about. I was never a Superman fan.. I didn't like the fact that his only weakness is a tangible thing called a kryptonite (I prefer to see that there's something he cannot do). I didn't like it either that he's just so... one-sided. He's just so good! I can't see any gray lines in that royal blue outfit of his.. the drama is focused on him being lost in a world he is already familiar with.. not inner turmoil or doubt. He's just really... Super. And I don't like super stuff. I like mine medium.

Anyway.. I'm not going to rant about why I don't like Superman. I'm going to tell you guys what I liked and didn't like about the movie. This is coming from someone who doesn't really like Superman. Note: May contain spoilers. Read at your own risk

The Good:

1.) Clark Kent is just so.... adorable. He's not just a "mild-mannered journalist" he's a silly, absent-minded klutz too! How can you NOT love Clark Kent? With those huge.. BLUE (boy were they ever!) puppy-dog eyes and that expectant expression, you'd just want to huggle him and bring him home to mom.

2.) The CG was breathtaking. Okay, I admit. I was taken in by the graphics and the overall direction of camera shots. Seldom do I find CG commendable since I'm more of the raw indie-type lover but the effects and incorporation of CG in the movie was amazing. It was far from cheesy. I actually felt my heart pounding wildly against my chest in anticipation. That's how effective their effects is. I was actually nervous

3.) Lois Lane isn't an annoying Mary-fucking-Sue. She smokes! YES! I'm not a smoker but that just completely marks her off the Mary Sue list. She's feisty and focuses on the news that actually matter rather than the obvious bandwagon the Daily Planet was riding on. Nevermind the fact that it has something to do with her personal feelings for/against Superman.. but at least she notices the little details in an incident that SHOULD make the news (but gets overlooked).

4.) One scene made me cry. Well I didn't really cry, 'moved to tears' is more like it. I wouldn't tell that scene to you guys. I'll wait until the screening is over. But that one scene really hit the spot.. actually.. there are two scenes that really clutched my heart and squeezed all the emotions out of it. And please, don't think that it has something to do with the romance between Superman and Lois. Give me a break. >.<


The Bad:

1.) The idiotic humor they squeezed in at the last part of the movie. I'm sure it was meant to be funny and I'm also sure there are people who actually found it amusing.. but I didn't. I felt like it ruined the whole mood rather than enhance it or lighten it even. It was just too fruity for my taste and maybe because I had a little bit more respect for Lex than what is expected of me. >.<

2.) It was too long. Sure it was engaging and all that but it was too long for me. I really think they should've cut a little bit of the opening scene. It was vague anyway. After the whole movie is done, I even asked my boyfriend what the hell was up with Lex' opening scene with the old lady and stuff but he didn't know either. And my boyfriend is actually one who knows his Superman facts. He may not be a big fan but he knows what needs to be known. If he wasn't able to get it, then it's impossible for someone like me to get it.


Hmm.. that's strange.. I only have two bad points to make. There must be something wrong here. Oh well.. maybe I should accept the fact that I did enjoy the movie. It was a comic book movie.. fine but there was something very appealing to it. Superman Returns certainly got my attention maybe not in the very first part but at least it was able to keep me hooked until the end. I recommend it highly for everyone.

Hey if a Superman hater like me actually liked the movie, then maybe you might want to give it a shot too. ^__^

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, Superman?! The dude who looks like he's a CGI character? Mwehe. I'd like to give it a shot, but woe is me, I have no effing TIME.

The dinner didn't push through. Both Girlie and I were busy with a surgery and we didn't get out until 8 in the evening. It sucks, really.

But hello, if ever na wala nga akong duty ng Saturday, I'm so choosing Eastwood with you people. Dancing while drinking and inhaling second-hand smoke with the pretty piggies beats drinking and inhaling second-hand smoke only anytime. Mwaha. Yun nga lang...libre pagkain dun. ;p

Kating kati na rin akong gumimik pare! Hope we get the chance sometime before sem-fucking-break!

And oh. Nabasa ko yung Ice Monster post. Gaaaaaaahhhh...chocolate is such a sin.

Later!

/*chenyl*/

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home